Foods and substances that cause inflammation in the gut cause heartburn or GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease). Some common causes of heartburn are unhealthy food, smoking, alcohol, caffeine, H.pylori infection, prescription drugs, over-the-counter supplements.
To heal your stomach and intestinal lining:
Avoid these foods
- Lentils, beans, green beans
- Dairy (milk protein irritates gut lining)
- Nut milk (contain emulsifiers)
- Chlorinated water
Consume plenty of these
- Red meat (grass-fed, gently cooked)
- Chicken, turkey
- Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil
- Bone broth (home made)
- Spring water (it is chlorine free)
Consume in small amounts only
- Butter, heavy cream (preferably use grass-fed, raw)
Take these supplements
- Megafood Megaflora Plus probiotic 1-2 caps/day
- Vitamin D3 supplement (NOW brand is good): 5000-10,000 IU/day
You should start noticing an improvement in just 1 week.
Can’t I just take a PPI?
No, not without it hurting your body. This article published in JAMA , earlier this year, discusses that PPIs increase the risk (1) of osteoporosis, heart attack, kidney disease, clostrium difficile diarrhea, pneumonia, vitamin B12 deficiency, and many other conditions.
Some examples of PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) are nexium, prevacid, dexilant, pepcid, etc.